Monitor web server run multiple virtual web site

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Sun Jun 1 12:08:32 CEST 2008

trevor obba wrote:

| I am running Nagios 2.5 on a Suse Enterprise 10; I would
| like to monitor web server running IIS with multiple virtual web sites.

The trick is to address the website by name. Pretty much like this:

define command {
~        command_name    check_http_url
~        command_line    $USER1$/check_http -H $ARG1$ -u $ARG2$
~        }

define service{
~        use                             linux-counter-template
~        host_name                       gimel.counter.li.org
~        service_description             HTTP-counter.li.org
~        check_command
check_http_url!counter.li.org!/index.php
~        contact_groups                  linux-counter
~        }

define service{
~        use                             linux-counter-template
~        host_name                       gimel.counter.li.org
~        service_description             HTTP-i18n.counter.li.org
~        check_command
check_http_url!i18n.counter.li.org!/index.php
~        contact_groups                  linux-counter

Each virtual website becomes it's own service. But the problem is that
you send the host info with the -H option. But you should send the
virtual server details there instead. As shown in the manual:
~ -H, --hostname=ADDRESS
~    Host name argument for servers using host headers (virtual host)
~    Append a port to include it in the header (eg: example.com:5000)

Hugo.

- --