Design question

Sean McAfee smcafee at collaborativefusion.com
Thu Jul 31 15:50:01 CEST 2008

Michael Weiner wrote:
> Just a general question to the nagios user audience out there. I have
> a situation that dictates I run two nagios instances due to the manner
> in which our systems are provided power. We have no true data center,
> and as such the servers being monitored by nagios are somewhat
> distributed throughout the campus. My design question comes from a
> recent major power outage that not only affected a slew of servers
> that nagios was monitoring, but nagios itself. So my thought was to
> provide a secondary, backup, nagios server somewhere off the power
> grid – but the issue is that I don't want duplicate notifications. I
> would like it setup such that the second device only monitors, and
> will only send out alerts/notifications if and only if the primary
> nagios server is down. Has anyone designed a setup similar to this? Is
> this thinking not logical? Is there a better mouse trap? Is there any
> design documentation?
>
> Thanks in advance for your input!
> Michael Weiner

Check out the documentation on Redundant and Failover Network Monitoring
(http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/redundancy.html).

Both examples will do what you want, but the underlying behavior is
drastically different between the two so make sure you read carefully.

Sean McAfee
System Engineer

Collaborative Fusion, Inc.
 smcafee at collaborativefusion.com
 412-422-3463 x 4025

5849 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15217

IMPORTANT: This message contains confidential information
and is intended only for the individual named. If the reader of
this message is not an intended recipient (or the individual
responsible for the delivery of this message to an intended
recipient), please be advised that any re-use, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message is prohibited. Please
notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received
this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.
E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or
destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The
sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or
omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a
result of e-mail transmission.