Design question

Michael Weiner weinerm at ccf.org
Thu Jul 31 15:41:08 CEST 2008

Just a general question to the nagios user audience out there. I have
a situation that dictates I run two nagios instances due to the manner
in which our systems are provided power. We have no true data center,
and as such the servers being monitored by nagios are somewhat
distributed throughout the campus. My design question comes from a
recent major power outage that not only affected a slew of servers
that nagios was monitoring, but nagios itself. So my thought was to
provide a secondary, backup, nagios server somewhere off the power
grid – but the issue is that I don't want duplicate notifications. I
would like it setup such that the second device only monitors, and
will only send out alerts/notifications if and only if the primary
nagios server is down. Has anyone designed a setup similar to this? Is
this thinking not logical? Is there a better mouse trap? Is there any
design documentation?

Thanks in advance for your input!
Michael Weiner