Help - I am unable to send notifications

jonathan williams jonathan.williams at us.g4s.com
Wed Jul 23 19:25:43 CEST 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-23 at 05:03 -0700, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> jonathan williams wrote:
> > [1216749581] Warning: Attempting to execute the command
> > "/usr/local/nagios/libexec/send_mail.pl -n "SERVICE RECOVERY" -h
> > "jwilliamspc" -s "OK" -a "10.10.113.51" -i "PrintSpooler - Spooler:
> > Started - check_nt!SERVICESTATE!-d SHOWALL -l Spooler" -d "Tue Jul
> 22
> > 10:59:41 PDT 2008" -e "jonathan.williams at us.g4s.com"" resulted in a
> > return code of 126.  Make sure the script or binary you are trying
> > execute actually exists..."
> >

> Due to some weird and slightly bent way of passing errors between
> processes, return code 126 means "Operation not permitted". In
> english, that means the script is not executable, or one of the
> directories leading up to it isn't readable by the Nagios user.
>
> Run this command (as root):
>
> chmod 0755 /usr/local/nagios/libexec/send_mail.pl
>
> (correct the path if necessary)
> and things just might start working a little better.
>
> --
> Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
> OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
> Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231
>
> Looks like Nagios is successfully calling send_mail.pl since I get
> this in the nagios.log:

[1216833337] SERVICE NOTIFICATION:
nagiosadmin;jwilliamspc;PrintSpooler;CRITICAL;service-notify-by-email;Spooler: Stopped

However no email is being delivered.  I know I can successfully send
SMTP mail from this box because I tested it via telnet 25.  Here is what
I have configured in the send_mail.pl file:
#!/usr/bin/perl -w

# than a bunch of commented stuff on how to set up the command.cfg file

use strict;
use Net::SMTP;
use Getopt::Std;

my $mailhost	=	192.168.1.9	;
my $maildomain	=	us.g4s.com	;
my $mailfrom	=	nagios at us.g4s.com;
my $mailto	=	jonathan.williams at us.g4s.com;
my $timeout		=	30;
my $mailsubject	=	'';	  						#	Leave blank
my $mailbody	=	'';							#	Leave blank
my $logfile		=	'/var/log/mail.log;		     		#	Put somewhere better
my $debug		=	1;						#	To enable SMTP session debugging to logfile

This is the commangs.cfg file:

define command{
	command_name	service-notify-by-email
	command_line	$USER1$/send_mail.pl -n "SERVICE $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$" -h
"$HOSTNAME$" -s "$SERVICESTATE$" -a "$HOSTADDRESS$" -i "$SERVICEDESC$ -
$SERVICEOUTPUT$ - $SERVICECHECKCOMMAND$" -d "$LONGDATETIME$" -e
"$CONTACTEMAIL$"
	}

Also the contacts.cfg

define contact{
        contact_name                    nagiosadmin		; Short name of
user
	use				generic-contact		; Inherit default values from generic-contact
template (defined above)
        alias                           nagiosadmin		; Full name of user
	host_notification_commands	host-notify-by-email
	service_notification_commands	service-notify-by-email

        email                           jonathan.williams at us.g4s.com	;
<<***** CHANGE THIS TO YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS ******
        }

efine contactgroup{
        contactgroup_name       admins
        alias                   Nagios Administrators
        members                 nagiosadmin
        }

These are all the variables I can think of.  Something must still be
amiss or the perl is not working or something?  I am not sure.