Help - I am unable to send notifications

Jonathan Williams jonathan.williams at us.g4s.com
Wed Jul 23 16:41:49 CEST 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: Andreas Ericsson [mailto:ae at op5.se]
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 5:04 AM
To: Jonathan Williams
Cc: Marc Powell; Nagios User list
Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] Help - I am unable to send notifications

jonathan williams wrote:
> [1216749581] Warning: Attempting to execute the command
> "/usr/local/nagios/libexec/send_mail.pl -n "SERVICE RECOVERY" -h
> "jwilliamspc" -s "OK" -a "10.10.113.51" -i "PrintSpooler - Spooler:
> Started - check_nt!SERVICESTATE!-d SHOWALL -l Spooler" -d "Tue Jul 22
> 10:59:41 PDT 2008" -e "jonathan.williams at us.g4s.com"" resulted in a
> return code of 126.  Make sure the script or binary you are trying to
> execute actually exists..."

Due to some weird and slightly bent way of passing errors between
processes, return code 126 means "Operation not permitted". In
english, that means the script is not executable, or one of the
directories leading up to it isn't readable by the Nagios user.

Run this command (as root):

chmod 0755 /usr/local/nagios/libexec/send_mail.pl

(correct the path if necessary)
and things just might start working a little better.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

Thanks Andreas,

I that fixed the code 126.  The nagios.log has no errors now.  I am
still not getting any notifications, but I can troubleshoot further.  I
am curious about one thing.  The send_mail.pl script specifies a mailto
address in the SMTP setting "my $mailto = jonathan.williams at us.g4s.com.
The contacts.cfg also specifies an email address in the define_contacts{
section.  I guess I am wondering which one it uses to determine where to
send the notification.