Thoughts about a custom plugin

stan stanb at panix.com
Sun Jul 20 16:28:34 CEST 2008

I have a number of isolated networks, that is networks which are
deliberately non-routable to. On each of these networks, I have a single
host that has a 2nd NIC thta is on the general network. I don't can't to
turn on forwarding on this host. I would like to monitor some statuses on
the machines on the isolated networks.

I am thinking of doing this using a Nagios plugin. My first thoughts on
this plugin are to have the plugin execute a script on the dual homed
machines. This script would, as a first cut, ping the internal machines, and
return up/down statuses. Later I might want too expand on this by having
the script do some other checks on the isolated machines.

After having looked at the way Nagios plugins work, i have a couple of
concerns about this design. The first is the rule that says the status
returned by a plugin should be less than 8 characters. The 2nd is that, for
the first version of the remote script, if a machine is down, the ping could
take a while to timeout.

I can see how to address the 2nd concern by having a "checker script" on
the dual homed machine, that maintains a "state" file, which the script called
by the Nagios plugin could simply read. But how can I address the firs
concern?

Any other thoughts to improve this design?

programs.