Dependency checking for services in downtime

Richard Quintin rich+nagios at quintinz.com
Wed Jul 9 18:49:12 CEST 2008

I have a test configuration like so:

define service{
    use                             prod-nagios-service-template
        host_name                       localhost
        service_description             test-master
    check_command            tcp!9898
        }

define service{
        use                             prod-nagios-service-template
    host_name                       localhost
        service_description             test-child
        check_command                   tcp!9897
        }

define servicedependency{
  host_name                       localhost
  service_description             test-master
  dependent_host_name             localhost
  dependent_service_description   test-child
  execution_failure_criteria      c  ; Don't bother checking logins if the
listener is critical
  notification_failure_criteria   w,c ; Don't bother notifying about logins
if the listener is critical or warning
  }

When test-master is in a period of scheduled downtime, I expect that
test-child will be down.  Nagios does not notify me about test-master
(because it's in a scheduled downtime) but it does notify me about
test-child.  Is it possible to configure this so that I don't have to
schedule downtime for all of the child dependencies?

Thanks for your help!
--
Richard Quintin, DBA
Database & Application Administration