strange problem with service check rescheduling

Seth Simmons ssimmons at cymfony.com
Wed Jul 9 15:19:34 CEST 2008

I have a strange problem with some service checks.

We have a number of customer sites that are being monitored.  There is a
group in asia that often will recycle sites during the night (US) and so
the monitoring schedule of these checks is 24x7 with exclusion of
4am-5:30am.

Here is the problem.

Last 3 days I get up in the morning and Nagios shows a number of service
checks in a critical state.  The last 2 days it was only a few, but
today is 42 (all customer sites).  The last check of the service is
showing 3:55am which is right before the exclusion period starts.
However, it never started again at 5:30am.  In addition, the next
scheduled check is midnight tomorrow.  I know they are not doing this
(manual reschedule) because I have user authentication enabled and the
apache log shows no access the last several hours.

I've had this exclusion in place for over a month and this just started
on Monday.  I did not make any changes over the weekend.  Very
strange...