[ANN] WebReboot Nagios Plugin 1.1 Released

Lars Stavholm stava at telcotec.se
Wed Jan 30 16:20:01 CET 2008

John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-01-30 at 14:48 +0000, Lars Stavholm wrote:
>> Kevin Menard wrote:

>>> Perhaps.  I'm certainly not a marketing guy.  If you'd like, you can pay
>>> full price ;-)
>> Are you mad, or just very young?
>>
>>> Our marketing folks tend to be pretty selective about promotions.  I try to
>>> push for one when we do plugin releases.  Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose.
>>> The Nagios community has been pretty good to us, though, so we try to offer
>>> them something a little more.  I tend to push for coupons just because
>>> they're simple to use *shrug*
>> You're still missing the point!
>> This mailing list is not for pushing anything,
>> whether it's from your marketing guys or yourself.
>> /L
>>
> <snip>
> Lars, I think you have misunderstood Kevin.  I was first taken aback by
> at the thought of needing a coupon to buy an addon to Nagios until I
> went to their site.  The plugin is entirely free and a great
> contribution in support of Nagios.  The hardware that enables the
> product to work is what is sold.  I wouldn't expect them to be providing
> the hardware for free ;)

Fair enough, sounds reasonable. But I still would like
this list, and all the rest of the mailing lists I attend,
to stay clear of expressions like "discount coupon codes".
There's got to be other ways of advertising your products.

And please don't misunderstand me: I'm all for products
like WebReboot and others that takes the excellent nagios
software in to the corporate world. If done properly, that
can only be good for the product in question, and therefor
good for anyone using the product, be it in a non-profit or
commercial capacity (like myself:).

However, I still don't want to be lured into reading
"discount coupon codes" or anything similar on this
or any other open source software mailing list.

The advertising of open source (or any other) software
products already occupy most if not all other media
channels. Leave the mailing lists alone!

Cheers
/Lars