Sun Monitoring

Petersen, Mark MPetersen at gs1us.org
Tue Jan 29 23:52:48 CET 2008

While Sun might have a way to monitor server health, I use
check_logfiles
(http://www.nagiosexchange.org/Misc.54.0.html?&tx_netnagext_pi1%5Bp_view
%5D=538) to monitor the logs for errors more than anything.  I have
checks for power supplies, fans, SAN mounts, memory, cpu and SCSI
errors, etc. setup to monitor the server health.  I also use
check_disksuite (software RAID for Solaris,) and Check Veritas Volume
Manager for Veritas volumes.

I use active server checks to monitor the services provided as well of
course, almost exclusively with check_by_ssh or check_http.

If
> > you think about it that way you can choose whatever method allows
you
> > to monitor these services reliably.
>
> I'd suggest that you do also need to monitor the servers themselves.
> While
> they may just be useless pieces of junk on their own, you do still
need
> them
> to run your services.  Strictly monitoring the services they provide
will
> give you a good up/down view of things but you probably want to know
when
> things are starting to go sideways so you can take corrective action
> before
> you actually reach a down state.  I don't work with Sun hardware, but
I'm