Sun Monitoring

andrew2 at one.net andrew2 at one.net
Tue Jan 29 23:09:02 CET 2008

Hugo van der Kooij wrote:
> Lars Stavholm wrote:
>> Edwin Zoeller wrote:
>>> We are monitoring ~75 Sun Servers via Nagios. What information
>>> would you like to know.
>>
>> Top down...
>> 1. method used (nsca, nrpe, snmp) and why?
>> 2. what specific checks are you using?
>
> Servers in themselves are useless pieces of junk. What you care about
> are the services they provide. So that is what you need to monitor. If
> you think about it that way you can choose whatever method allows you
> to monitor these services reliably.

I'd suggest that you do also need to monitor the servers themselves.  While
they may just be useless pieces of junk on their own, you do still need them
to run your services.  Strictly monitoring the services they provide will
give you a good up/down view of things but you probably want to know when
things are starting to go sideways so you can take corrective action before
you actually reach a down state.  I don't work with Sun hardware, but I'm
sure Sun provides some kind of framework for monitoring some of the physical
components of the system, and I'd bet dollars to doughnuts there are Nagios
plugins that can take advantage of that framework  Temperature, fans,
HD/RAID status, power supply status, etc. etc. are a very good thing to keep
an eye on if you intend to catch problems early enough to resolve before
actually causing downtime.

Andrew