Problems with two plugins timing out

Kaplan, Andrew H. AHKAPLAN at PARTNERS.ORG
Tue Jan 29 19:58:30 CET 2008

> Since the command is failing locally on the client in question, this may not
be iptable issue.

> Do you have these plugins in the correct location?

The location of the plugins is the same as the others: /usr/local/npre/libexec

> Do they have required nagios user ownership.

The ownership of the plugins, along with the others is as follows:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 nagios nagios  62638 2007-11-28 11:40 check_ssh

-rwxr-xr-x 1 nagios nagios 334907 2007-11-28 11:40 check_http

> Have you enabled debugging options in nrpe to check?

I did have debugging turned on via the nrpe.cfg file on the client. However,
even after I tried

manually running the plugins in question, there was no record of the plugins
recorded in

the /var/log/messages file on the client, or in a similar file on the server.

> Please post the command which you are running locally and from Nagios server?

The commands that I tried are listed below:

-bash-3.2$ ./check_ssh -H <ip address>

CRITICAL - Socket timeout after 10 seconds

-bash-3.2$ ./check_ssh -H <hostname>

CRITICAL - Socket timeout after 10 seconds

-bash-3.2$ ./check_ssh -H <hostname> -p 22

CRITICAL - Socket timeout after 10 seconds

-bash-3.2$ ./check_ssh -H <ip address> -p 22

CRITICAL - Socket timeout after 10 seconds

-bash-3.2$ ./check_smtp -H <hostname>

CRITICAL - Socket timeout after 10 seconds

-bash-3.2$ ./check_smtp -H <ip address>

CRITICAL - Socket timeout after 10 seconds

-bash-3.2$ ./check_smtp -H <ip address> -p 25

CRITICAL - Socket timeout after 10 seconds

-bash-3.2$ ./check_smtp -H <hostname> -p 25

CRITICAL - Socket timeout after 10 seconds

The information transmitted in this electronic communication is intended only
for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential
use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or
information in error, please contact the Compliance HelpLine at 800-856-1983 and
properly dispose of this information.