Problems with two plugins timing out

Kaplan, Andrew H. AHKAPLAN at PARTNERS.ORG
Tue Jan 29 18:05:46 CET 2008

Hi there -

I am monitoring a system that functions as a mail and ssh server. Along with the
check_ssh and check_smtp plugins, I am also monitoring the mailq, check_mailq,

the diskspace, check_disk, and also the processes, check_procs. The latter three
plugins are working fine, but the first two, check_ssh and check_smtp, are
getting

socket timeout errors. The Nagios server and NRPE client are running the 2.6
version.

I ran the two plugins from the command line on both the Nagios server, via
check_nrpe, and on the client in question, using just the plugins. I included
the -p option

to specify the port. Both instances resulted in timeouts occurring. The client
system is running iptables, and I had configured it to allow what I thought was
the appropriate

traffic to go and come from the system. Listed below is an excerpt that deals
with this issue:

### Accept connections from <ip address> # Make sure to include these entries in
the OUTPUT chain.

$IPTABLES -A INPUT -p icmp -s <ip address> -j ACCEPT

$IPTABLES -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 5666 -s <ip address> -j ACCEPT

$IPTABLES -A INPUT -p udp --dport 5666 -s <ip address> -j ACCEPT

$IPTABLES -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -s <ip address> -j ACCEPT

$IPTABLES -A INPUT -p udp --dport 22 -s <ip address> -j ACCEPT

$IPTABLES -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 25 -s <ip address> -j ACCEPT

$IPTABLES -A INPUT -p udp --dport 25 -s <ip address> -j ACCEPT

$IPTABLES -A OUTPUT -p icmp -d <ip address> -j ACCEPT

$IPTABLES -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 5666 -d <ip address> -j ACCEPT

$IPTABLES -A OUTPUT -p udp --dport 5666 -d <ip address> -j ACCEPT

$IPTABLES -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -d <ip address> -j ACCEPT

$IPTABLES -A OUTPUT -p udp --dport 22 -d <ip address> -j ACCEPT

$IPTABLES -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 25 -d <ip address> -j ACCEPT

$IPTABLES -A OUTPUT -p udp --dport 25 -d <ip address> -j ACCEPT

Are there any additional ports that I need to provide exceptions for in order to
get the two plugins to work? Thanks.

The information transmitted in this electronic communication is intended only
for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential
use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or
information in error, please contact the Compliance HelpLine at 800-856-1983 and
properly dispose of this information.