Fwd: Just a general concensus

Ton Voon ton.voon at altinity.com
Fri Jan 25 12:47:49 CET 2008

On 24 Jan 2008, at 20:50, Brian Loe wrote:

> what's the view on Opsview?

We like it, but then, we wrote it!

> Is it just, more or less, a wrapper for
> Nagios?

A lot of people complain about managing the configuration files, so
Opsview provides a web front end to do this: http://opsview.org/about

A lot of people want a distributed setup, so we make that easy to do
and maintain: http://opsview.org/distributedmonitoring

A lot of people want the integration with NDO, so we've invested time
in that: http://opsview.org/architecture

A lot of people want a view on all their host and services in a
hierarchical fashion, so we've got one: http://opsview.org/hostgrouphierarchy

A lot of people want a big screen showing the status of a few items: http://opsview.org/viewports

So yes, it is a wrapper to Nagios, because Nagios is the world's most
popular monitoring system and it would be silly of us to re-rewrite
that. But I think Opsview gives a lot more above it. And we give a lot
back to this project too: http://altinity.org.

> Addons
> like Nagvis work with it (or is Nagvis unnecessary?)?

You can use Nagvis. In fact, one of our contributors, Jose Luis
Martinez at Capside (http://opsview.org/contributors), has been doing
some work on that. We hope to get it committed into our upcoming 2.12
release in February.

Ton

http://www.altinity.com
UK: +44 (0)870 787 9243