flap_detection_enabled persistence acrossreload/restart?

Tom Throckmorton throck at duke.edu
Thu Jan 24 15:11:40 CET 2008

On Jan 23 17:35, Marc Powell wrote:
> > Before I dig further, can anyone verify that the state of host or
> service
> > flap detection (enabled/disabled) should or shouldn't be persistent across
> > reload/restart?  I've combed the docs and archives, and am coming up
> dry.
>
> The retention file should take precedence.

Thanks, that's what I thought - it appears to for all but the flapping options.
I should add that this applies to the global flap detection option as well.

Would you (or anyone) mind testing this on your own installation:

- find a host/service for which flapping is enabled
- disable flap detection for that host/service; wait until that state is
  reflected in the extended info
- reload the configs
- check the state of flap detection - has it reverted to enabled?

> Not all directives can be overridden by the retention file but
> flap_detection_enabled is one of them
> (http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/xodtemplate.html#service).

I'm not sure what you mean here - which directives _can't_ be overridden by the
retention file?

> Your configuration snippets look accurate, assuming they're applied as
> you indicate.

They were cut and pasted from live configs, so yeah.

Cheers,

-tt

--
Tom Throckmorton