how to monitor www.domain.com without host object

August Simonelli augusts at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 03:53:34 CET 2008

but the host has no ip. can i make a host entry without an ip? i only need
th host entry so i can create a service (which requires a host, right?).
then i http_check -I against a dns name?

i'm guessing like this:

define host{
	use		generic-host		; Inherit default values from a template
	host_name		www.mysite.com		; The name we're giving to this host
	alias		Some Remote Host	; A longer name associated with the host
	address		192.168.1.50		; IP address of the host
	}

address is bogus, i just want to be able to associate a service against
this, i won't check it for anything. host_name is important because i need
that DNS value for my http_check:

define command{
	name		check_http
	command_name	check_http
	command_line	$USER1$/check_http -I $HOSTNAME$
	}

and use the HOSTNAME macro (not address)

then create the service:

define service{
	use		generic-service		; Inherit default values from a template
	host_name		www.myhost.com
	service_description	HTTP
	check_command	check_http
	}

my theory is that i then get a host called www.myhost.com and have a service
being executed against that host that does an check_http and uses the domain
name (which is also the hostname and pulled by a macro) rather than the IP
(cause it doesn't exist)

seems ok - but i think i'm making this harder than i should be :-)

when you say "we simply create a host object with the hosted site's IP /
DNS" what does that look like? is the dns name the alias?

a good example of this is www.9news.com which is with akamai (not my site)
if you dig it:

[root at cottonwood cfgs]# dig www.9news.com

; <<>> DiG 9.3.3rc2 <<>> www.9news.com
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 4, AUTHORITY: 9, ADDITIONAL: 5

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.9news.com.                 IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.9news.com.          300     IN      CNAME   www.9news.com.edgesuite.net.
www.9news.com.edgesuite.net. 21600 IN   CNAME   a21.g.akamai.net.
a21.g.akamai.net.       20      IN      A       210.9.72.174
a21.g.akamai.net.       20      IN      A       210.9.72.176

so to create a host to run the service check against is hard, cause the IP
changes.

august