Problem with high latencies after going distributed

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Jan 23 02:45:06 CET 2008

> As I'd mentioned in a previous message, I'm in the process of
converting
> from a centralized
> Nagios 2.10 setup all running on a single host to a distributed setup
> running on at least 3
> hosts (3 to start anyway).  The centralized setup has 572 hosts and
2900
> services 99.9% of which are active checks.
> 	Active Service Latency:               0.000 / 7267.198 /
> 4241.019 sec

This isn't much help, but...

We've just done exactly the same (Nagios 2.9), and we have a comparable
size of system (actually a bit larger - 713 hosts, 5834 services).
After going distributed, we too have this insanely high latency on the
satellites.

The only possible cause is the OCSP command slowing things down somehow.
This is using the supplied send_nsca call to send the status off to the
central server...

define command {
    command_name    relay
    command_line    $USER1$/submit_check_result "$HOSTNAME$"
"$SERVICEDESC$" "$SERVICESTATEID$" "$SERVICEOUTPUT$"
}

So it should work.  I guess things would be better if it packaged the
updates up into batches, although it cant do that normally.

I think it might be better to make the OCSP command just dump the status
to a file, and then have a cronjob every 60 seconds that reads the file
and sends the statuses off as a batch.  I will try this here, when I get
the chance.

Steve