NagiosGrapher 2008-01-08 issue on Centos

Lars Stavholm stava at telcotec.se
Sun Jan 20 16:14:36 CET 2008

Hugo van der Kooij wrote:

> | Hi,
> |
> | I might have missed something trivial here but it seems I am not getting
> | any graphs build and I end up with a lot of small files on a pretty new
> | installation on Centos 5.1 with Nagios 2.10
> |
> | Nagios is runing fine for the current handfull of hosts in the config.
> | So I decided I wanted to give NagiosGrapher a spin.
>
> I found the first issue. In the rc there is the line:
> DAEMON=/usr/lib/nagios/contrib/nagios_grapher/collect2.pl
>
> But there is not even an directory called /usr/lib/nagios/contrib
>
> The file was in fact installed in /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/contrib/
>
> In this regard the value in the Fedora init script is better as this
> part of the diff shows:
> - --- nagios_grapher.fc   2007-08-10 17:05:31.000000000 +0200
> +++ nagios_grapher.redhat       2007-08-10 17:05:31.000000000 +0200
> - -DAEMON=/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/contrib/collect2.pl
> +DAEMON=/usr/lib/nagios/contrib/nagios_grapher/collect2.pl
>
> Fixing the issue and adding the perl-GD package did result in the
> startup of the daemon.
>
> The files are now read as I would expect them to be.
>
> But I am not yet getting any graphs. Int he logs it seems all of the
> lines are ignored.
>
> In the ngrap.ncfg file I have:
>
> # Includes
> cfg_dir=/etc/nagios/ngraph.d
>
> And I copied the template file for ping to this directry and made sure
> the file was now named check_ping.ncfg but this did not work yet. I then
> renamed the file to PING.ncfg and this time the restart seems to get it
> right.
>
> Is this a known issue with the names of the template files? Must they
> match the service name exactly?

No, to my understanding they can be named anything, but the files
has to have the .ncfg at the end. The actual matching takes place
in the service_name statement of the .ncfg file against the
service_description of the nagios service definition. I have, on
the other hand, been bitten by the permission of the files. The
files need to be owned by nagios, if indeed nagios is the process
owner of collect.pl.
/L