DISK UNKNOWN - free space

Dennis Jenkins djenkins at istreamimaging.com
Fri Jan 11 17:06:19 CET 2008

Jake Solid wrote:
> When I use the filesystems unstead of the mount points in the nrpe.cfg
> it works fine with disks 1, 2 and 3. The only disk that nrpe is not
> able to read is disk4 which is mounted on /vservers/fred/data.
 From one of your previous posts:

*The one I was having issues with is:*
command[check_disk4]=/usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/check_disk -w 20% -c 10%
-p /dev/mapper/VolGroup01-fredVol00
*
Which is mounted on*
/dev/mapper/VolGroup01-fredVol00     119G  107G  5.8G  95%
/vservers/fred/data

That is a pretty big volume (well, big to me since I grew up with 540M
being HUGE).  I have a similar problem using "check_disk" to verify the
free space on a 16 Terabyte volume (on Solaris 10).  Please humor me and
read the post that I made to this group on 2008-1-7 at 4:28pm (CST).

I don't remember what OS you are using... But please run the
"check_disk" program through the syscall logger for your OS.

On Linux:
strace /usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/check_disk -w 20% -c 10% -p
/dev/mapper/VolGroup01-fredVol00

On Solaris:
truss /usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/check_disk -w 20% -c 10% -p
/dev/mapper/VolGroup01-fredVol00

On FreeBSD (from memory, I could be wrong):
ktrace /usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/check_disk -w 20% -c 10% -p
/dev/mapper/VolGroup01-fredVol00

Near the bottom you should see a call to "statvfs" or something similar
(again, read my post first).

Do you have the same error that I do?  In my case, the nagios-plugins
package was compiled without support for "fs64", so it used the older
"statvfs" which can't handle huge disk volumes.  The kernel call
returned an error instead of the volume info.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This electronic mail and the information contained herein are intended for the named recipient only.  It may contain confidential, proprietary and/or privileged information.  If you have received this electronic mail in error, please do not read any text other than the text of this notice and do not open any attachments. Also, please immediately notify the sender by replying to this electronic mail or by collect call to (262) 796-0925. After notifying the sender as described above, please delete this electronic mail message immediately and purge the item from the deleted items folder (or the equivalent) of your electronic mail system. Thank you.

Disclaimer -- Do not remove this disclaimer under penalty of law.

For optimum performance and safety, please read these instructions carefully.

Void where prohibited. No representation or warranty, express or implied, with respect to the completeness, accuracy, fitness for a particular purpose, or utility of these materials or any information or opinion contained herein. Actual mileage may vary. Prices slightly higher west of the Mississippi. All models over 18 years of age. No animals were harmed during the production of this product. Any resemblance to actual people, living or dead, or events, past, present or future, is purely coincidental. This product not to be construed as an endorsement of any product or company, nor as the adoption or promulgation of any guidelines, standards or recommendations. Some names have been changed to protect the innocent. This product is meant for educational purposes only. Some assembly required
 . Batteries not included. Package sold by weight, not volume. Contents may settle during shipment. No user-serviceable parts inside. Use only as directed.

Do not eat. Not a toy.

Postage will be paid by addressee. If condition persists, consult your physician. Subject to change without notice. Times approximate. One size fits all. Colors may, in time, fade. For office use only. Edited for television. List was current at time of printing. At participating locations only. Keep away from fire or flame. Avoid contact with skin. Sanitised for your protection. Employees and their families are not eligible. Beware of the dog. Limited time offer. No purchase necessary. Not recommended for children under 12. Prerecorded for this time zone. Some of the trademarks mentioned in this product appear for identification purposes only. Freshest if eaten before date on carton. Subject to change without notice. Please allow 4 to 6 weeks for delivery. Not responsible for direct, indir
 ect, incidental or consequential damages resulting from any defect, error or failure to perform. Slippery when wet. Substantial penalty for early withdrawal. For recreational use only. No Ca
 nadian coins. List each check separately by bank number. This is not an offer to sell securities.

Read at your own risk. Ask your doctor or pharmacist. Parental guidance advised. Always read the label. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Do not stamp. Breaking seal constitutes acceptance of agreement. Contains non-milk fat. Date as postmark. Lost ticket pays maximum rate. Use only in well-ventilated area. Price does not include taxes. Not for resale. Hand wash only. Keep away from sunlight. For a limited time only. No preservatives or additives. Keep away from pets and small children. Safety goggles required during use. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue use. Do not fold, spindle or mutilate. Please remain seated until the web page has come to a complete stop. Refrigerate after opening. Flammable. Must be 18 years or older. Seat b
 acks and tray tables must be in the upright position. Repeat as necessary. Do not look directly into light. Avoid extreme temperatures and store in a cool dry place. No salt, MSG, artificial
  colouring or flavoring added. Reproduction strictly prohibited. Pregnant women, the elderly, and children should avoid prolonged exposure to this product. If ingested, do not induce vomiting. May contain nuts. Objects in mirror may be closer than they appear. Do not use if safety seal is broken.

Apply only to affected area. Do not use this product if you have high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, thyroid disease, asthma, glaucoma, or difficulty in urination. May be too intense for some viewers. In case of accidental ingestion, seek professional assistance or contact a poison control center immediately. Many suitcases look alike. Post office will not deliver without postage. Not the Beatles. Products are not authorized for use as critical components in life support devices or systems. Driver does not carry cash. Do not puncture or incinerate. Do not play your headset at high volume. Discontinue use of this product if any of the following occurs: itching, aching, vertigo, dizziness, ringing in your ears, vomiting, giddiness, aural or visual hallucinations, tingling in extrem
 ities, loss of balance or coordination, slurred speech, temporary blindness, drowsiness, insomnia, profuse sweating, shivering, or heart palpitations. Video+ and Video- are at ECL voltage le
 vels, HSYNC and VSYNC are at TTL voltage levels. It is a violation of federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling. Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling the contents can be harmful or fatal. This product has been shown to cause cancer in laboratory rats. Do not use the AC adaptor provided with this player for other products.

Warranty does not cover normal wear and tear, misuse, accident, lightning, flood, hail storm, tornado, tsunami, volcanic eruption, avalanche, earthquake or tremor, hurricane, solar activity, meteorite strike, nearby supernova and other Acts of God, neglect, damage from improper or unauthorised use, incorrect line voltage, unauthorised use, unauthorised repair, improper installation, typographical errors, broken antenna or marred cabinet, missing or altered serial numbers, electromagnetic radiation from nuclear blasts, microwave ovens or mobile phones, sonic boom vibrations, ionising radiation, customer adjustments that are not covered in this list, and incidents owing to an airplane crash, ship sinking or taking on water, motor vehicle crashing, dropping the item, falling rocks, leaky roof
 , broken glass, disk failure, accidental file deletions, mud slides, forest fire, riots or other civil unrest, acts of terrorism or war, whether declared or not, explosive devices or project
 iles (which can include, but may not be limited to, arrows, crossbow bolts, air gun pellets, bullets, shot, cannon balls, BBs, shrapnel, lasers, napalm, torpedoes, ICBMs, or emissions of electromagnetic radiation such as radio waves, microwaves, infra-red radiation, visible light, UV, X-rays, alpha, beta and gamma rays, neutrons, neutrinos, positrons, N-rays, knives, stones, bricks, spit-wads, spears, javelins etc.).

Other restrictions may apply. Breach of these conditions is likely to cause unquantifiable loss that may not be capable of remedy by the payment of damages.