*****SPAM***** Device is down but it isn't

Eric F Crist ecrist at secure-computing.net
Fri Jan 11 16:23:54 CET 2008

On Jan 11, 2008, at 7:22 AM, Michael Egan wrote:

> I am monitoring a Windows 2003 virtual machine.  Nagios says the
> server is down but when I click on the device all the monitors
> (ping, disk space, load, etc) say OK.
>
> Why does Nagios think the server is down?

Mike,

IIRC, Windows XP SP2 and newer block pings by default.  This being the
case, nagios' host check command (a ping by default) is going to think
the system is down.  Either pick a different host check command for
your Windows boxen, or enable the receipt of pings through the built-
in firewall.

HTH
-----
Eric F Crist