Odd notifications problem

Nathanael Hoyle nhoyle at hoyletech.com
Thu Jan 10 17:10:50 CET 2008

Steve Onotsky wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I’ve inherited an old Nagios 2.0b2 installation (I know, the horror!)
> running on RHEL 3 update 9.  This installation will soon be migrating
> to a new version of Nagios (perhaps 3.0 when it’s “production”), but
> in the meantime, I have to deal with what I have at hand.

I haven't worked with that version in a while, so I hope that my
comments are still sensible in context.

> In order to better inform our support staff, I’ve obtained a
> serially-connected CDMA modem and written a script to send SMS
> messages to our cell phones on events.  From the command-line, as the
> Nagios user, it works flawlessly.
>

> The first day I put it into our Nagios config as a second notification
> method – the first being plain old email – we received SMS messages
> upon a CRITICAL event happening.  However, since then, even though
> qualifying events have occurred, no SMS notifications have been sent.
> According to nagios.log, both email and SMS alerts were triggered for
> the appropriate contacts, but my script (which logs all successful and
> unsuccessful messages) recorded nothing other than the messages from
> the first day.

Logically therefore, either nagios is logging the SMS alert and failing
to actually call your script, or your script fails to log the call
properly when called from nagios, which seems less likely.

> So, somewhere between the notification mechanism in Nagios, and my
> script (which, again, works at the command line as the Nagios user),
> something is getting dropped.

Can you give us the command/notification entry in the nagios config that
calls your script?  It's one of the most likely points of failure.  I
would also suggest testing with a temporary script which ignores all
input and does something like 'touch' a file in /tmp to help see if it's
a nagios/config/permissions problem or a script/environment problem.
The script in question would also be useful for looking for a problem,
but I'll understand if you don't care to post that.