Odd notifications problem

Steve Onotsky sonotsky at rogers.com
Thu Jan 10 16:26:49 CET 2008

Hi all,

I’ve inherited an old Nagios 2.0b2 installation (I know, the horror!) running on RHEL 3 update 9.  This installation will soon be migrating to a new version of Nagios (perhaps 3.0 when it’s “production”), but in the meantime, I have to deal with what I have at hand.

In order to better inform our support staff, I’ve obtained a serially-connected CDMA modem and written a script to send SMS messages to our cell phones on events.  From the command-line, as the Nagios user, it works flawlessly.

The first day I put it into our Nagios config as a second notification method – the first being plain old email – we received SMS messages upon a CRITICAL event happening.  However, since then, even though qualifying events have occurred, no SMS notifications have been sent.  According to nagios.log, both email and SMS alerts were triggered for the appropriate contacts, but my script (which logs all successful and unsuccessful messages) recorded nothing other than the messages from the first day.

So, somewhere between the notification mechanism in Nagios, and my script (which, again, works at the command line as the Nagios user), something is getting dropped.

I’ve done some searching and much haedscratching, but have come up empty.  Can someone please point me to what is most likely the incredibly obvious?

Much thanks in advance!

SteveO