SMS gateway

Peter Edmonds termx23 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 10:02:52 CET 2008

> which tools do you use to send sms through GSM modem (connected via COM)
> through nagios:
> smstools, kanal, or smsclient

I use gnokii. Modem is a Telular GSM SX5D

/etc/gnokiirc looks like this

[global]
port = /dev/ttyS0
model = AT
initlength = default
connection = serial
use_locking = yes
serial_baudrate = 19200
smsc_timeout = 10
[gnokiid]
bindir = /usr/sbin/
[connect_script]
TELEPHONE = 12345678
[disconnect_script]
[logging]
debug = on
rlpdebug = off
xdebug = off

Notify command for service notifications looks like this

echo -e "<$HOSTNAME$>\n$SERVICEDESC$\n$SERVICESTATE$\n$SERVICEOUTPUT$\n$LONGDATETIME$"
|gnokii --sendsms $CONTACTPAGER$ >>
/usr/local/groundwork/nagios/var/gnokii.log 2>&1

For host notifications this does the job

echo -e "<$HOSTNAME$>\n$SERVICEDESC$\n$SERVICESTATE$\n$HOSTOUTPUT$\n$LONGDATETIME$"
|gnokii --sendsms $CONTACTPAGER$ >> /usr/local/nagios/var/gnokii.log
2>&1

Peter Edmonds