graphical mapping tool

Vanhee Frederik fvanhee at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 14:08:13 CET 2008

Alex Dehaini wrote:
> Stephen,
>
> nagvis is good but it lacks a very important feature that is present
> in most NMS. It can't tell you if any host if down within a site.
>
> Take for instance, I have 4 sites
>
> Site 1 - router1, server1, switch, access point1
> Site 2 - router2, workstation1, workstation2, server3, access point2
> Site 3 - router3, workstation3, workstation4, accesspoint3
> Site 4 - access point4, workstation5
>
> Now, you can have a default map that link these 4 sites. With nagvis
> you have to monitor all the devices at each site and show them on the
> map. I don't want a map that will show all my devices on one cluttered
> map. I want a map that will add the four sites above and each site
> will be able to show (problem, on or off) on the main map if any
> device on any 4 sites has a problem.
>
> I sent several emails asking the nagvis developers if this is possible
> but I got no reply. If nagvis can do this, I will use it without
> hesitation.
>

> On Jan 3, 2008 12:42 PM, Valdinger, Stephen (DOV, MSX) <
> svalding at doverchem.com <mailto:svalding at doverchem.com>> wrote:
>
>     I recently implemented NagVis in our Nagios installation. Seems to
>     work out great for us. Check them out and www.nagvis.org
>     <http://www.nagvis.org>
>

>     Stephen Valdinger
>
>     Dover Chemical Corporation
>
>     MIS Helpdesk Guru
>
>     330.365.3622
>
>     stephen.valdinger at doverchem.com
>     <mailto:stephen.valdinger at doverchem.com>
>

>     "If a man says something in the woods and no woman hears him, is
>     he still wrong?"

I hope I understand what you want to tell us.
Nagvis can make a distinction between a host/service, a hostgroup, a
servicegroup OR a map.
So, if you want a general map with one symbol representing the 4 sites,
you can make a general map with on that general map, one symbol,
respresenting a sub-map (I can't remember the Nagvis nomination by heart).
Then you create the submap and on that submap you can put 4 symbols, one
for each site (considered your site is hostgroup in Nagios).

To make things more clear, before you can represent the status of a
sub-map (or child-map) on a general map, the child-map has to be created
first in Nagvis.
Hope this helps.
Don't hesitate to contact me if this explanation isn't clear enough,

Frederik