Retention?

Ugo Bellavance ugob at lubik.ca
Fri Feb 29 21:23:19 CET 2008

Adam Kennedy wrote:
> State retention data is written to the retention file at the interval
> specified by retention_update_interval
> The default is to write it every hour.

[root at nagios nagios]# grep retention nagios.cfg
state_retention_file=/var/log/nagios/status.dat
retention_update_interval=60

> This is also dependent on how you are restarting nagios. Killing off the
> process with -9 won't allow nagios to write it's data.

I'm using the init scripts, using reload or restart.  No -9 there.

> I would also check the permissions of the retention file to verify
> nagios can write to it. Does that file have any data in it?

Yes, full of data.  Timestamp shows that it is updated:

[root at nagios nagios]# ll /var/log/nagios/status.dat
-rw-rw-r--  1 nagios nagios 167055 Feb 29 15:22 /var/log/nagios/status.dat

(it is 15:22 right now)

Ugo