Retention?

Adam Kennedy akennedy at cyberlinkint.com
Thu Feb 28 15:17:52 CET 2008

State retention data is written to the retention file at the interval
specified by retention_update_interval
The default is to write it every hour.

This is also dependent on how you are restarting nagios. Killing off the
process with -9 won't allow nagios to write it's data.

I would also check the permissions of the retention file to verify
nagios can write to it. Does that file have any data in it?

Ugo Bellavance wrote:
> Hi,
>
>      I have 2 nagios servers, and one is showing an unwanted behavior.
> When I restart it, it kind of resets the state of the services.
> Therefore, if I disable a test using an external command, when I reload
> or restart the nagios process, this 'disable' is ignored.
>
> relevant nagios.cfg entries:
>
> retain_state_information=1
> state_retention_file=/var/log/nagios/status.dat
> use_retained_program_state=1
>
> Where should I start looking?
>
> Regards,
>
> ugo