status.cgi very high cpu usage

Steve Kieu msh.computing at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 23:15:30 CET 2008

Hello,

[nagios at noctools nagios]$ time ./sbin/status.cgi >foo

> real    0m1.390s
> user    0m1.300s
> sys     0m0.090s
> [nagios at noctools nagios]$ du -sh foo
> 4.4M    foo

Similar benchmark  in my case :
nagtst01:/usr/local/nagios/sbin # time ./status.cgi > testdata

real    0m3.553s
user    0m3.316s
sys     0m0.044s
nagtst01:/usr/local/nagios/sbin # ls -l ../var/status.dat
-rw-rw-r-- 1 nagios nagios 849578 2008-02-20 11:02 ../var/status.dat

Compare with another box we have which is 30 times slower, and every part
(sys usr ; is around 20 times slower. We suspect there are some thing wrong
with the vmware config in this case. The other (good) box has around 460
services

In another box:

illuminati:/usr/local/nagios/sbin # time ./status.cgi > testdata

real    0m0.364s
user    0m0.104s
sys     0m0.002s
illuminati:/usr/local/nagios/sbin #  ls -l ../var/status.dat
-rw-rw-r--  1 nagios nagcmd 622377 Feb 20 11:03 ../var/status.dat

> What status view specifically is the issue for you? What version of
> nagios? Unless you're still using nagios-1.x, my gut feeling is that

Nagios 2.9 having some custom code I made but  just change the some of the
html tag output only, trivvial and 100% not affect performance. The view is
requested by nagvis. I do not do the nagvis config then I am not sure how
many request that nagvis generate but even the main page of nagios it still
takes too much cpu for status.cgi to run

Thanks for your help

Cheers

> there is something outside of nagios causing the issue (i.e. disk IO,
> memory pressure, etc). Nagios-2 should be able to easily handle the
> status data for 650 services. That was an area of significant focus and
> improvement with the current version.
>
> --
> Marc

> reporting any issue.