status.cgi very high cpu usage

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Feb 19 22:36:07 CET 2008

I've
> been
> 	> asking users to only use "Unhandled" reports.  You may get
better
> 	> response in Mozilla, but 'status.cgi' can kill Internet
Explorer
> 	> because of how it's loading everything in one large list.
>

> 	This is a browser rendering issue, nothing to do with the
nagios'
> speed
> 	at reading and parsing its status file. To get the html to
display
> 	status for all 3800 of my services takes under 1.5 seconds --
>

> In my case it is not the browser issue. The problem is that status,cgi
> does not return data rather than the data it generates is so big.

4.4M of data in 1.39s --

[nagios at noctools nagios]$ export REQUEST_METHOD=GET; export
QUERY_STRING="host=all"; export REMOTE_USER="mpowell";
[nagios at noctools nagios]$ time ./sbin/status.cgi >foo

real    0m1.390s
user    0m1.300s
sys     0m0.090s
[nagios at noctools nagios]$ du -sh foo
4.4M    foo

> And status.cgi hog cpu time at the monitoring host (not the desktop
> viewing using a browser)
>
> I guess there are something wrong with status.cgi and even the
extinfo.cgi
> take considerable amount of cpu as well

What status view specifically is the issue for you? What version of
nagios? Unless you're still using nagios-1.x, my gut feeling is that
there is something outside of nagios causing the issue (i.e. disk IO,
memory pressure, etc). Nagios-2 should be able to easily handle the
status data for 650 services. That was an area of significant focus and
improvement with the current version.

--
Marc