status.cgi very high cpu usage

Justin Hitt hittjw at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 16:15:17 CET 2008

Steve,

On Feb 18, 2008 10:51 PM, Steve Kieu <msh.computing at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a problem with status.cgi taking up too much cpu so the page is very
> slow to  render. Is there any way to find out where the problem is?
> We have about 650 services monitored. The output os nagios -s command is

Many of the "Monitoring" reports don't work well at volume, I've been
asking users to only use "Unhandled" reports.  You may get better
response in Mozilla, but 'status.cgi' can kill Internet Explorer
because of how it's loading everything in one large list.

Nagios is at the point where it needs an SQL back end with a more
modular look at how it stores site data.  Perhaps, rolling status up
into summary reports that are queried to create reports then go into
host tables only when someone drills down into host information.

In production you'll want to be on a multi-core multi-threaded
machine; 2 cores won't do it if you'll have more than one user in the
system.  Until then, keep users in the "Unhandled" menus around
"{Service,Host} Problems"

Best,

Justin
--
Attention Sales And Marketing Professionals Who Serve B2B Executives
   http://hittpublishingdirect.com/