Nagios Looking Glass 1.1.0 beta 1 released

Andy Shellam andy.shellam-lists at mailnetwork.co.uk
Mon Feb 18 18:31:01 CET 2008

Hi Giles,

Thanks for your comments.  The 'Network Health' page is designed to reflect
the status of the network as a whole which, I agree, can be confusing when
host-specific filters are specified.  An example scenario of the reasoning
behind this is:

You're viewing the 'network health' page and select the "down hosts only"
filter.  All the hosts in this filter will be down, thus rendering the
network "100% down", which obviously looks bad.

NLG v2 is going to be designed to work better with users, permissions and
groups and will be better suited to those who don't want a simple "network
overview" and would like to restrict what different users and groups can
see.

In terms of licensing, clause 4c states that if the work, ie. NLG, is
publicly displayed then all copyright notices must be kept intact, including
the author's name, designated company, title of the work and URL.  Therefore
if you're providing access to NLG through a publicly-available URL or
website, the copyright notice must be left intact, otherwise if it is only
available to a set number of users (e.g. through an internal URL or
intranet) I'm happy for the copyright notice to be removed.

Regards,

Andy

having some sort of dynamic portal which customers can query and I've seen
your project surface time-and-time again on this list.

> I've implemented the 'hack' to limit which hosts a particular user can
see, but notice that they still see the "Overall Network Health" still shows
the values for all hosts & services, rather than those in the currently
selected filter.

> It would be much better if the granularity for this tool followed the
'Nagios way' and used the contact group for all visibility. Unfortunately
this is very important for our environment.

> In terms of the license, what if I want to remove all references to Nagios
Looking Glass, your name etc... from the portal interface? Is that going to
be an issue? I'm not talking about removing any copyright or license
information from the source files itself, just the customer facing side.