NSCA problem

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Feb 15 17:17:02 CET 2008

The number would increase if the NSCA daemons were unable to write to
the external command pipe. That could be because the results are coming
in faster than nagios is processing them. The command pipe is only going
to hold about 4K of data then block until it's cleared.

> Also I do not understand why running nsca with the --single option
> only processes the first message it receives and discards the rest.

Nor do I. I run with -s and haven't experienced that problem. Running
nsca-2.1 here. Have you tried putting nsca into debug mode and
monitoring that? Running strace on the process would be informative as
well.

> > Are there other problems with the machine? Disk or memory issues? Do
you
> > have embedded perl or performance data processing enabled?
>
> CPU and RAM seem ok up until something goes badly wrong and nagios
starts
> forking and allocating more memory, then swap.
> We have embedded perl and no data processing.

I did have a similar problem years ago on a machine with a failing disk.
The failures seemed harmless but ended up causing regular backlogs of
NSCA processes as you indicate. Fixing the disk problem resolved the
issue. That's why I asked.

--
Marc