NSCA problem

Giulio Botto madecto at sangria.org.il
Fri Feb 15 16:53:52 CET 2008

Marc Powell wrote:
> Please always respond on-list so that others can help and learn from
> your experience.

Yep, sorry: that's why I later forwarded my reply to the list.

I changed this some months ago, at least 4 I'd say.
[...]

>> PERFORMANCE SUGGESTIONS
>> -----------------------
>> I have no suggestions - things look okay.
>
> This is all good. You don't have a lot of services at all. How
> frequently are you sending results? On my own systems I'm easily
> processing at least 13 results/sec. I know that there are others doing
> more but there is some point at which nagios can't keep up.

The problem we have seems to lay in the number of nsca daemons on
the master machine.
Also I do not understand why running nsca with the --single option
only processes the first message it receives and discards the rest.

> Are there other problems with the machine? Disk or memory issues? Do you
> have embedded perl or performance data processing enabled?

CPU and RAM seem ok up until something goes badly wrong and nagios starts
forking and allocating more memory, then swap.
We have embedded perl and no data processing.
Giulio Botto -- madecto at sangria.org.il
PGP fingerprint =  1979 A78A 8F82 DB5E 55E9  D6D6 6AB6 0BA9 FDB7 6789