Monitor Gentoo portage

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 15 12:54:53 CET 2008

Matthias Kellermann wrote:
> Hari Sekhon schrieb:
>> Matthias Kellermann wrote:
>>> Hi list,
>>>
>>> does anyone know a Nagios plugin for monitoring Gentoo's portage for
>>> updates? A quick google search did not give any results
>> That sounds like a good idea and one that I am quite interested in
>> since I run a lot of gentoo servers.
>>
>> Could you please elaborate on what exactly you want this plugin to
>> do, perhaps I can write it...
>>
>> -h
>
> The plugin should check the output of "emerge -upD --newuse world" for
> updates. It's been a while since I've used Gentoo on a daily basis so
> I'm not sure if the output of the above command shows any difference
> between critical and non-critical updates.
>
> I wrote a similar plugin for FreeBSD where I use portaudit to see if
> there are any critical packages on the system. This way I can divide
> between critical packages and normal updates and give the right state
> back to Nagios (1 = non-critical, yellow / 2 = critical, red).
When you say critical and non-critical updates do you mean the severity
of the security package announcements? Ie. whether is a remote
exploitable service and might be considered Critical or whether it takes
some previous user account to elevate privilege and therefore is not as
severe and only "Important" or "Warning" in Nagios.

I take it that you do not mean any old package that has updates or the
thing would be permanently triggered?

I've just had a look at this and it doesn't look like it distinguishes
between security upgrades deemed Critical/Non-Critical. So I guess it
would be an all-or-nothing Critical/OK result.

Any other ideas on this are welcome.

I'll have a go at writing this since I think this is a neat idea and I
have a lot of gentoo to test it on here.

-h

--
Hari Sekhon