Monitor Gentoo portage

Matthias Kellermann mkellermann at net-com.de
Fri Feb 15 12:37:56 CET 2008

Hari Sekhon schrieb:
> Matthias Kellermann wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> does anyone know a Nagios plugin for monitoring Gentoo's portage for
>> updates? A quick google search did not give any results
> That sounds like a good idea and one that I am quite interested in since
> I run a lot of gentoo servers.
>
> Could you please elaborate on what exactly you want this plugin to do,
> perhaps I can write it...
>
> -h

The plugin should check the output of "emerge -upD --newuse world" for
updates. It's been a while since I've used Gentoo on a daily basis so
I'm not sure if the output of the above command shows any difference
between critical and non-critical updates.

I wrote a similar plugin for FreeBSD where I use portaudit to see if
there are any critical packages on the system. This way I can divide
between critical packages and normal updates and give the right state
back to Nagios (1 = non-critical, yellow / 2 = critical, red).

Matthias