Announce: Monocole Oracle Monitoring Package

Mike Hamrick mikeh at bluegecko.net
Thu Feb 14 13:36:01 CET 2008

Hello,

Blue Gecko Inc, is proud to announce the first release of Monocle, our
open source (GPLv2) Oracle 10g database monitoring package!  Monocle
mostly consists of a body of PL/SQL code that runs inside the database
as scheduled Oracle jobs.  When events occur inside the database that
are significant enough to alert on, the PL/SQL monitoring code notes
the problems in a monitoring events table.  The check_monocle script,
which is used as a connector between Monocole and Nagios, reads the
data from the events table and reports the information to Nagios using
the command pipe.

Requirements:

     * Oracle 10g or greater
     * Nagios 2.x
     * Oracle Instant Client (sqlplus)

Features:

     * Alert Log Monitor - Scans the alert Log and reports on exceptions
     * Backup Monitor - Monitors the health of Oracle RMAN backups
     * Job Monitor - Monitors Oracle DBA and Scheduler Jobs
     * Lock Monitor - Monitors and records info about blocking locks
     * Resource Monitor - Monitors resource consumption (cursors/
processes)
     * Space Monitor - Monitors tablespace/archive space consumption
     * Standby Monitor - Monitors physical/logical standby databases

To find out more about Monocle, visit our open source development
site at:

     http://code.bluegecko.net

Direct download link:

     http://files.bluegecko.net/code/Monocle-1.0.tar.gz

About Blue Gecko:

What Blue Gecko does is simple: We provide database administration
support services for Oracle and MySQL.  The Blue Gecko team
proactively monitors, administers, and tunes Oracle and MySQL Server
database environments, either on our own Database Hosting Services
platform, or at our Client's site with Remote DBA Services.

To find out more about Blue Gecko, visit our services site at:

     http://www.bluegecko.net