How to explain active host checks to boss

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Feb 13 20:12:27 CET 2008

It won't if you leave 'active_checks_enabled 1' but do not specify the
check_interval directive (at all). If one service on the host is OK, the
host will be assumed to be and displayed as OK too. There is a
difference between disabling host checks and not scheduling them. With
'active_checks_enabled 0', even the on-demand check won't happen so they
would show as disabled. Note that this entire logic revolves around the
fact that you must have at least one service defined for every host.

> recommends disabling active host checks for obvious reasons why is
this
> shown on tac.cgi under Hosts and again under Active Checks (in red
> nonetheless). I almost wish I understood management at this point...

I'm sure they don't want it to appear that they're not monitoring those
hosts or there is some otherwise unhandled problem that the big red X
implies when they show off the spiffy monitoring system to people
not-in-the-know.

--
Marc