Alerts based on performance data

Mohr James james.mohr at elaxy.com
Wed Feb 13 18:10:54 CET 2008

Hi All!

We are currently running Nagios 2.5 and are planning the move to 3.0
within the next couple of weeks.

We have a monitor that checks whether specific web sites are reachable
and the page contains specific text. The Nagios machine does not have
internet access, so we are running check_http remotely. There is a Perl
wrapper which immediately prior to running check_http determines the
current time in using Time::HiRes, runs http_check, checks the time
again and calculates the differnce, which should be a good estimate of
the response time of the web site and (in my opinion) avoids any
addition time for NRPE to connect, etc.

The success or failure is returned to Nagios along with the response
time as performance data. What we want to do now is generate an alert
based on the perfdata (that is the web page response time). I don't want
to simply use the fact the the check itself takes too long because
sometimes the slowdown is because of a lot of network traffic that
effects the connection between Nagios and the machine that does the
check, but not between that machine and the Internet. So, we would like
to react if just the response time to the web server is too long.

The simplest way I can see doing that is to define a
service_perfdata_command that compares the service-perfdata to a table
and if it is above the predefined value in sends and NSCA message to the
service (e.g. "response time too long" or whatever). However, I don't
want to reinvent the wheel if someone has done this kind of thing
before.

Any info is appreaciated.

Regards,

Jim Mohr