check_snmp issue

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Feb 12 17:06:16 CET 2008

What did you end up with?

> I am now having an issue with check_snmp. I have used check_snmp to
> monitor this exact service in the past on other Nagios hosts and am
using
> other snmp checks as well from the current host. Here is the problem:
>
> nagios at ulapnag01:/usr/local/nagios/libexec> /check_snmp -H peapgse01
-o
> GSA-MIB::crawlRunning.0 -C public -m GSA-MIB -P 2c -d "="
> SNMP problem - No data received from host
> CMD: /usr/bin/snmpget -t 1 -r 5 -m GSA-MIB -v 2c -c public
peapgse01:161
> GSA-MIB::crawlRunning.0
>
> But if I run the command it shows, exactly:
>
> nagios at ulapnag01:/usr/local/nagios/libexec> /usr/bin/snmpget -t 1 -r 5
-m
> GSA-MIB -v 2c -c public peapgse01:161  GSA-MIB::crawlRunning.0
> GSA-MIB::crawlRunning.0 = INTEGER: Running(1)

Not a direct answer but to troubleshoot I'd run check_snmp in verbose
mode (-v). That will cause it to print the output it receives from
snmpget. You'll at least know then if the problem is with the call to
snmpget or the parsing of its output. I'd also run 'strace -Ffs512
./check_snmp ...' and look for the sendto and recvfrom lines which would
be the communication with the remote snmp agent just to verify that
there is data flowing both ways. I'd also drop the -d "=" since that's
the default anyway. I'd try using the numeric OID instead of
GSA-MIB::crawlRunning.0 to eliminate MIB loading/parsing issues. And
finally, I'd use IP or FQDN for the hostname to eliminate resolution
issues.

--
Marc