check_snmp issue

mark.potter at academy.com mark.potter at academy.com
Tue Feb 12 16:39:04 CET 2008

Thank you all for the comments on the parenting issue I posted yesterday.
We have come up with a much easier solution than had been proposed.

I am now having an issue with check_snmp. I have used check_snmp to
monitor this exact service in the past on other Nagios hosts and am using
other snmp checks as well from the current host. Here is the problem:

nagios at ulapnag01:/usr/local/nagios/libexec> ./check_snmp -H peapgse01 -o
GSA-MIB::crawlRunning.0 -C public -m GSA-MIB -P 2c -d "="
SNMP problem - No data received from host
CMD: /usr/bin/snmpget -t 1 -r 5 -m GSA-MIB -v 2c -c public peapgse01:161
GSA-MIB::crawlRunning.0

But if I run the command it shows, exactly:

nagios at ulapnag01:/usr/local/nagios/libexec> /usr/bin/snmpget -t 1 -r 5 -m
GSA-MIB -v 2c -c public peapgse01:161  GSA-MIB::crawlRunning.0
GSA-MIB::crawlRunning.0 = INTEGER: Running(1)

Both are being run as the nagios user, the second is a cut and paste of
the command shown by check_snmp and reported to have no output. I don't
think I have mucked up the syntax as the command produced for snmpget
works just fine. I am probably missing something really easy here and if
someone could point it out I would really appreciate it.

Best Regards,

Mark L. Potter
Systems Engineer
Academy Sports & Outdoors