how to specify a source port?

Federico Donati federico.donati at hermess.it
Tue Feb 12 14:49:50 CET 2008

Dennis Jenkins wrote:

> If your Nagios server is running BSD or Linux then you can use the
> built-in firewall to transparently change the port.  Kind of like NAT,
> but just for the port (some vendors (Juniper) call this PAT).  I suppose
> that Solaris and Windows might have this ability too, but I'm not that
> familiar with their equivalent of iptables / ipfw.

Yes, it runs under Linux and i know how to nat/pat packets, but i'm
fairly paranoid and i would like to keep it simple.
But in the end, you're right, this is more easy to apply than begin to
script in perl using hping or something like that.

I can use a masquerade rule in the iptables postrouting chains. So, i
will do that way, until developers will integrate source port option.

Thanks for the reply and the suggestion :)