Remote monitoring

Wojciech Kocjan wojciech at kocjan.org
Tue Feb 12 08:19:34 CET 2008

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 05:06:38 +0100, Paul Aviles
<paul.aviles at nickelnetworks.com> wrote:

> I am looking for a way to remotely monitor Windows servers. The servers
> are on a  remote network and using network address translation so they
> are not directly accessible. I saw that Pandora uses an agent on the
> remote servers to connect via ssh to the main monitoring server and I
> like that idea, but I have not been able to see any documentation on how
> to do it with Nagios. In our configuration we cannot alter or open ports
> on the clients firewalls, but outgoing ssh traffic should not be an
> issue and I guess the monitoring server should not contact the remote
> servers.

Hi Paul,

I think it should be quite easy to use putty's plink to connect and tunnel
nsclient++ using remote tunneling (-R option).

For example assuming NSClient is running on port 12489 you could run

plink -R 20001:127.0.0.1:12489 guestuser at nagiosserver

And then as long as the SSH connection stays open your nagiosserver will
be able to access NSClient++ by connecting to 127.0.0.1 port 20001. You'd
need to modify check_nt command a bit to always use 127.0.0.1 as an IP. If
it's Nagios 3 you can also use custom variable (like _NSCLIENTPORT) in
host definitions and reuse that in your version of check_nt command (using
$_HOSTNSCLIENTPORT$).

The solution might not be robust enough if your network is not stable - in
that case you might need a wrapper that will restart plink if a connection
is down... I'm not sure if any working solutions for this exist. I'm
curious myself as I wrote a small wrapper that checks for connection
timeouts - and I'm wondering if there's any better solution on Windows.

--
Wojciech Kocjan