Parenting vs Dependencies

mark.potter at academy.com mark.potter at academy.com
Mon Feb 11 18:13:43 CET 2008

I know that this has been discussed ad nauseam and I have read quite a bit
of those discussions this morning and over the preceding weekend. I still
am at a bit of a loss. I have a pretty firm understanding of parenting and
dependencies and how they both work. I think I have a good grasp on what
we need in our environment but I seem to be missing the point in
explaining this to my boss. So here is an overview of what I have to
monitor, what my boss is asking, and what I think we need and maybe
someone can beat some sense into me.

I have a medium sized network (100-200 hosts).
Hosts are in cabinets on site (no off site monitoring yet)
Cabinets are not setup by subnet (I think this is fairly normal)
1 switch per cabinet
Multiple subnets across the farm

The boss and I agree that the switch in each cabinet needs to be part of
our monitoring setup and be part of some sort of parenting/dependency.
This is where we cease seeing eye to eye. For the purpose of making this
easy lets say we are dealing with three subnets and ten cabinets only.
Here is what the boss wants (at least as far as I can understand): Setup
three hosts per cabinet to represent the three subnets, that actual IP
would be the IP of the switch. Parent the hosts in the cabinet to these
and parent these to the gateways for the subnet. This is, with the
parameters above, thirty extra hosts, and IMO a management nightmare.

Since the switch is not part of the route my thought is that we parent in
the normal manner as I understand it, host parents to router, and so on
and at that point we would make the hosts have a dependency on the switch
through which their connection passes. The current setup doesn't take into
account the switches at all but rather is setup to where each host is
parented to it's gateway IP and that has been working rather well but if a
switch dies we need to be able to see that via nagios and not have 20 or
servers and their services going off all at once.. I cannot see why adding
tens of special hosts for the boss's parenting solution will help anything
in the long run.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to respond to this as I
probably haven't explained very well to begin with.

Best Regards,

Mark L. Potter
Systems Engineer
Academy Sports & Outdoors