controlling services by hostgroup?

Jonathan Mills jonmills at email.unc.edu
Tue Feb 5 01:09:22 CET 2008

I'm looking for some sanity checking of my logic here.

What I've been doing is controlling services by mapping them to
hostgroups.  So, basically, I have a hostgroup for each type of
service check, except for some basic checks that I lump together.

Why?  Because it makes it extremely easy to manage hosts.  I create a
host definition in a new file, i list all the hostgroups to which the
host belongs, and the host then inherits all the service checks it
needs.  Adding and deleting hosts means only touching one file, the
file containing the host definition.

In practice it works great, but it has some real annoyances too.  For
example, my hostgroups look like servicegroups!  It confuses people.
I also have way more hostgroups than is desirable to be displayed in
the web interface.  And trying to map the logical groups or
environments in my company is right out the window, since the
hostgroups don't represent a logical or conceptual view of the
environments within the company.

What are other people doing?  One thing I thought of that would help
is if you could choose what hostgroups were actually displayed in the
web interface.  That way I could have logical groups based on
departments or something shown as hostgroups, while service-specific
hostgroups weren't displayed.

Any comments would be greatly appraciated.

Cheers!
Jonathan