~5000 second for 'Active Service Latency" (couldthis delay my checks?)

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Feb 5 01:03:30 CET 2008

Hi Roger --

/etc/init.d/nagios
> service. I have about 900 hosts, all of which are not checked (via
ping)
> very much (like every 5 minutes).  My services are checked about every
10
> minutes, unless there is a problem, then I check them at 2 minute
> intervals.

While you don't say, I believe that you are likely using nagios-2.10. If
that is the case then the latencies are expected and explained by the
warnings you saw in the documentation in the host{} section about
check_intervals.

To summarize, nagios stops doing _*everything*_ while a host is checked.
If your host checks all ran and finished in 1 second, you've just
introduced 900 seconds (15 minutes) of latency as a base. 10 pings is at
least 9,000 seconds where nagios stops everything except focusing on
hosts. You don't need scheduled host checks. No, really you don't. Side
effects can include headache, vomiting and extreme latencies.

With Nagios-3, you still don't need scheduled host checks but there are
some benefits to them as described in that documentation.

--
Marc