NRPE on Windows guest error

Brock Kuhse brock at kuhsefamily.org
Fri Feb 1 15:01:16 CET 2008

We've moved away from NRPE for a variety of reasons, including that we don't
want to have to maintain a separate configuration file on each server.

To that end, I've been using HP's WMI Mapper package
(http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?la
ng=en&cc=US&swItem=MTX-aeb689f58db74128b59af142ce) on a Windows server, with
wbemcli (from the sblim-wbemcli package) and custom perl scripts, to monitor
our Windows servers.  One server can be used as a proxy for multiple
servers, and we generally use one Windows server per site we monitor.

Just create a suitable user account on the domain and install the package.
Done.  No additional configuration required on the server - just define your
check commands on your nagios server.  You can get *far* more information
from WMI than you can from SNMP.  We're running this way with 68 hosts and
about 429 service checks as of right now, running most checks in 4-minute
intervals, with no problems whatsoever.  I suppose if check latency starts
to become an issue, we'll look at using ePN.  But that is a project for
another day.

At some point, I'll post some documentation on our Windows server monitoring
method (to the wiki, I assume), and the perl scripts themselves (to
nagios-exchange), but the scripts, while suitable for in-house use, aren't
ready to be shared with the world yet.  We've been monitoring our clients'
servers this way for about 4 months - and have been very happy with the
results so far.

Let me know if you're interested and I can PM the perl scripts to you.

- Brock