3 doubts on SMS alert system for Nagios : by kannel SMS gateway

KK CHN kkchn.in at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 04:37:25 CET 2008

Please excuse me if this mail all ready posted to the list.

Hi all ;

I followed this tutorial
http://www.nagiosexchange.org/cgi-bin/pages/Detailed/1855.html

   I would like to test the sms alert system from a GSM SMS gateway , I have
added these lines in  commands.cfg

define command{
        command_name    service_notify_with_sms
        command_line    $USER1$/notify_sms -a   MY_MOBILE_NUMBER    -u
MY_USER_NAME    -p
MY_PASSWORD -m \ '$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$:$HOSTNAME$ is $SERVICESTATE$
($SERVICEOUTPUT$)\' -t $CONTACTPAGER$
}

I have 3 doubts

doubt 1) is the above configuration correct ?

 where   MY_MOBILE_NUMBER  = my cell phone number and
MY_USER_NAME = sms gateway user account

and

MY_PASSWORD = sms gateway user password

doubt 2  ) why I have to add again  the following  config section ? i mean
the purpose of the following lines ?

define command{

      command_name    host_notify_with_sms
      command_line    /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/notify_sms -a 1012345 -u
myusername_for_gw -p mypassword_for_gw -m \'$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$:
$HOSTNAME$ is $HOSTSTATE$ ($HOSTOUTPUT$)\' -t $CONTACTPAGER$

}

doubt 3)   if I added the 2  define command sections   in commands.cfg   as
in the website  , can I get an sms alert ?anything else  I have to add in
localhost.cfg   ? (where I have services to check     ssh,ping,http   in the
localhost . )

These are the Nagios packages I have in my box

nagios-2.9_1
nagios-plugins-1.4.9_1,1

notify_sms-1.1.tar.gz<http://www.nagiosexchange.org/cgi-bin/jump.cgi?ID=1855&view=File2;d=1>

I untared this notify_sms-1.1.tar.gz package and copied it to
/usr/local/libexec/nagios/   (in this directory I hvae all the
check_ssh  check_ping etc etc comamnds    by default)

Let me request you to clarify my doubts , sorry for my ignorance ,

NOTE :  The SMS gateway is in another PC , but I configured Nagios in a
localbox ,but both  machines in the same network   .
so can I use this SMS gateway   ? how to make this sms gateway service
available for  nagios box ?

Thanks in Advance
kkchn