Nagios and MySQL

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Mon Dec 29 17:37:15 CET 2008

On Dec 29, 2008, at 7:03 AM, shacky wrote:

>> read this: http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/ndoutils/NDOUtils.pdf
>
> Thank you very much.
> Specifying that I'm using a single Nagios installation (I don't have
> multiple Nagios servers), what are the advantages in using NDOUtils
> and MySQL to store the configurations?

NDOUtils doesn't store nagios configuration, just the check and
process data. It's an 'output-only' target for nagios.

> If I use NDOUtils, will I still be able to configure Nagios in files
> (/etc/nagios/*.cfg files) or I will have to write all the
> configuration directly in the MySQL db?

You will still need to use cfg files. Nagios is not capable of reading
config files from DB. If that's what you're looking for, there are
addons (differing for different versions of nagios) that allow you to
manage configs in a DB then output them in a format that nagios
understands. http://www.nagiosexchange.org should help you locate them.

--
Marc