Cannot add remote-linux server to my setup to be monitored

Rahul Nabar rpnabar at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 23:09:24 CET 2008

I just installed Nagios and I can monitor my localhost all right. I
tried to start with one of my remote compute-nodes but this does not
seem to work so well.

I see my new group "compute-nodes" on the web interface but it does
not list the remote machine I tried adding. I'm stumped as to what I
am doing wrong!

To my "nagios.cfg" I added this line :cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/hosts.cfg

And made a new "/usr/local/nagios/etc/hosts.cfg" like so:

define hostgroup{
        hostgroup_name          compute-nodes
        alias                   compute-nodes
        members                 star01
        }

define host{
        host_name                       star01
        alias                           star01
        address                         11.0.0.1
        hostgroups                      compute-nodes
        check_command                   check-host-alive
        max_check_attempts              5
        check_period                    24x7
        process_perf_data               0
        retain_nonstatus_information    0
        contact_groups                  admins
        notification_interval           30
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            d,u,r
        }

Shouldn't this be a basic template to get me started up? What else do
I need to do? Any debug suggestions? A ping to 11.0.0.1 is successful.

--
Rahul