Notifications of Children

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Dec 18 21:41:33 CET 2008

On Dec 18, 2008, at 1:16 PM, Sam Stelfox wrote:

> After searching both google and to the extent I was able to the
> archive
> (it kept timing out when I'd run a search). I'm asking these two
> questions to the list.

Thanks for researching first!

> It's my understanding that if nagios can not talk to a service, ...

Correct.

> I turned off unreachable notifications, but nagios thinks that some of
> the children are in a "down" state while a couple of them say
> "unreachable".
>
> Why does nagios consider some "down" and some "unreachable" (they are
> all using the same template only thing different is there name's and
> addresses and the parents have the same template as well).

What is the state of the immediate parent of a 'down' host? Are you
sure it's parent is what you think it is? I would say that the 'down'
host either has no parent or the parent's status is 'ok', or was at
the time the on-demand check happened. If you're using nagios-3,
cached host checks could certainly be at play here --

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/cachedchecks.html

> Why does nagios still send notifications for the children?

For which, down or unreachable? Based on your disabling of unreachable
notifications, you should not receive those. You may receive down
notifications if you've elected to receive those.

--
Marc