best way to analyse traffic on a network-device

Max perldork at webwizarddesign.com
Tue Dec 16 21:51:50 CET 2008

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 3:25 PM,  <ralf.prengel at comline.de> wrote:
> mrtg is ok but I searching a direkt way without installing and configuring one more software.

There are a number of tools that will create Cacti style (RRD) graphs
from Nagios perfdata and there are a number of plugins that will
retrieve this data.

Retrieval using SNMP is a nice way to go.

My personal favorite RRD graphing tool for Nagios is PNP

http://www.pnp4nagios.org/pnp/start

Much easier to build RRD templates (in my opinion) than with Cacti as
you edit the templates directly in single files and can be made to
scale well for larger installations using the modpnpsender.c NEB
module and xinetd mode for the RRD creation/update script
process_perfdata.pl .. and one poll gets you fault management and
graphing.

- Max